St. Cecilia Parish was organized by Archbishop John Glennon on August 4, 1906 with Father Bernard Benton as the founding pastor. It was begun to serve the needs of the growing population in an area that had been part of the common fields of the city of Carondelet. The first Mass was offered on September 2, 1906 at the St. Joseph’s Boys Home. The cornerstone of the first church was laid on May 19, 1907, and the church was blessed on January 1, 1908. This combination church and school was located on the site of the present parking lot on Eichelberger at Louisiana and was razed after the new school was completed.